House of Prayer No. 2 and The Duke of Deception: A Literary Pairing

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The worst part about teaching at Penn is the decision-making part.  As in:  I have to study my swollen, swaying, triple-stacked wall of memoirs and decide which few (only a few!) to put on the syllabus.  Sure, we're reading all semester long—theory, excerpts, slices of things.  But which memoirs will we read, cover to cover?  Which books will my students carry forward, in their own libraries?

I have, just now, made at least one pairing decision:  House of Prayer No. 2 (Mark Richard) and The Duke of Deception (Geoffrey Wolff).  I cannot wait to read both these books again.

2 comments:

Kelly Simmons said...

Just wanted to say that I loved HOUSE OF PRAYER #2 beyond all reason. I re-read it the minute I finished it, and recommend it to anyone writing memoir.

Serena said...

I don't read a lot of memoir, but I'll have to check these out upon your recommendation.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP