Wonderstruck/Brian Selznick: Celebration

Thursday, December 15, 2011

I will confess to this:

Late in the darkened day, dozens of gifts finally wrapped, most of the cards out into the world, the house clean, the boy's room ready for the boy, and the clients happy, I stopped.

For my dear niece Claire, I'd bought a copy of Wonderstruck by the masterful Brian Selznick.  I hadn't wrapped this gift yet.  I'd wanted to take time with it, so that Claire and I could talk about it later.  Those soft yet crystalline pencil drawings.  Those two stories that become one.  That old-time New York City.  That cabinet of wonders.  Meteorites and movie stars.

Six-hundred thirty-five pages of art.  A book dedicated to Maurice Sendak.  A book that, in this late hour, in a time where I've been feeling that brand of holiday rush and sad, felt just right, felt perfect.

Yes.  This was the one.  This was the book for my big-hearted, big-eyed beautiful Claire.  This was the moment that finally ushered in my Christmas.


5 comments:

patti.mallett_pp said...

Your words leave me deeply touched. Thank you for sharing this, Beth. I cannot seem to find a word to describe Claire. None quite capture what I see here. The all fall short.

Serena said...

Wow, what a great gift to share all around. I love Claire's photo

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I remember how dear to you (and what a reader!) your Claire is. My boys and I read HUGO a few weeks ago and then went to the movie. Pure magic.

They'll be getting WONDERSTRUCK for Christmas, too.

Unknown said...

Oh, to be your niece - that would be a gift in itself. :)

Janice Kephart said...

Awww, I never saw that pic of Claire, or maybe i did? Is that from our Cayman's trip? She is a special one, and we may read the book together a bit, considering what big fans of Maurice Sendak we are in this house. I used to have him memorized, amongst others! Thanks for such a sweet note!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP