the return of the lush, full-scale, read-it-with-your-Sunday-coffee book review section at Chicago Tribune

Sunday, March 11, 2012

On this Spring forward day, the moon still in the sky and the birds nest-building outside my window, I'd like to celebrate the return of a full-scale book review section to Chicago Tribune, a paper I have written for, freelance style, for years.  The section is called Printers Row, and it's deep and wide ranging—traditional book reviews mixed with essays by readers and writers and booksellers, some celebrity talk, a crossword puzzle, Sudoku.  It's the kind of thing that makes me wish that I lived in the Windy City, but fortunately those of us who don't can download the weekly publication and scroll through pages that look like actual newsprint.  (Imagine.)

Here's this Sunday's edition, with one of my reviews of a new Mei-Ling Hopgood parenting book (How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm & Other Adventures in Parenting) appearing on page 19.  Huge congratulations to Elizabeth Taylor, for making this important thing happen.  Printers Row, like the new Slate Book Review, introduced by Dan Kois in early March, signal, I think, the dawning of a new era, in which books again are given the space they deserve by "traditional" media.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Hurray! This makes me happy :)

KFP said...

Oh, this is good news. And thanks for the link--I'll be able to read both publications routinely on my iPad.

I would love to have the print version, though. wonder if the Chicago Tribune has considered offering the print edition to out-of-the-Chicago-area (snail mail) subscribers--same as how one can subscribe separately to the print version of the New York Times Book Review, and have it arrive in one's mailbox. Maybe they have that in their business plan for the future. But--if so--are they delaying the online post by a week? So print subscribers get the print edition before it goes online for free?

FYI: I am going to Tweet your blog post headline and link, share the happy news.

Serena said...

reviews in print media are good, though sometimes a bit too focused on the books I'm least interested in...I hope for that to change.

Anonymous said...

I love reading the NYRB. A friend has a subscription passes them on to me when he's done, and sometimes I read it online as well.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP