when you read the media letter for your book, and it is perfect

Thursday, March 15, 2012

A funny thing happens when you utterly trust the people you work with:  You don't ask any questions.  You just, well, trust.  And so it had never occurred to me to ask about the press release for SMALL DAMAGES or if, indeed, the book (which won't appear in bookstores until July 19th) was already making its way through media channels.

But yesterday, while chatting with the utterly delightful Jessica Shoffel (a Penguin publicist) about many things, she stopped and glanced toward a corner of her office, where she said the ARCS of SMALL DAMAGES were piled.  Oh and by the way, she said, here's the letter that I'm sending out with your book.

It wasn't until I was on my way home, on the train (after an enormously memorable lunch with Tamra Tuller), that I remembered the letter and thought to read it through.  And my goodness.  My absolute goodness.  What a letter it is.  Jessica happens to be a graduate of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University, the top-ranked communications program in the country, and I am certain (beyond certain) that she graduated at the top of her magazine/journalism class.

Because her letter is a work of art.  And I'm one lucky author.

6 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

How beautiful, Beth! Especially the letter's last paragraph. Can't wait for your vision of Spain.

Serena said...

Wonderful letter.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Simply stunning. How blessed you are! Congratulations, Beth, and I look forward to reading this book.

Amy said...

That's a fantastic letter and I'm so so happy to see you happy with the people entrusted with SMALL DAMAGES.

KFP said...

"Masterpiece" writes Jessica Shoffel! I am vicariously swooning. I can only imagine what it feels like to have one's work called that. But I have no doubts your book deserves the word.

You know Newhouse is my favorite school. Please, you must ask Jessica Shoffel if she studied under my beloved late magazine professor, mentor and friend, Bill Glavin. If she did we are instantly bonded. There is no one who had him as a teacher who didn't love him. I still grieve that he is gone. His photograph is above my desk where I keep it as inspiration every day as I write. He and you are linked in my mind as well because both of you spur me on as a writer.

FYI: Syracuse University's Newhouse community mourns longtime professor Bill Glavin

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP