it's all circling back: Dangerous Neighbors, Joe Polin, You Are My Only, Into the Tangle of Friendship

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It's funny how things are circling back to me this week—Susan's review of You Are My Only, Bonnie Jacobs' discovery of my Into the Tangle of Friendship within the pages of Lauren Winner's Girl Meets God, and, early this morning, a note from the very brilliant young reader and critic, John Jacobson, who wrote to say that Emma, a reading/blogging friend of his (Booking Through 365), had read Dangerous Neighbors upon his recommendation and had had kind things to say. 

I was particularly moved by Emma's observations about the end of the novel, something about which very few have commented.  And so I share those words here, with the hope that you will visit Emma's blog and discover not just her review of Neighbors, but her fine mind in general. 
End: This book may have one of the very best YA plot climaxes I've experienced in recent history. While I knew instinctively how the climax would end, it still affected me. This is very, very powerful, and it might be the crowning glory of the novel. 5 flowers.
(Note to readers:  Emma talks about William in her review, a character that I, too, have not forgotten.  I hope I'll be able to share William's story, now completed as an 1871 prequel, with you in total soon.)

Finally, in this week (and it's only Tuesday!) of looking back, I am celebrating Joe Polin, a former student, whose beautiful essay was published in the Pennsylvania Gazette last year.  Joe is coming to class with editor Trey Popp to talk about how an assignment becomes a story becomes a submission becomes an edited final piece. 

Let's just say that I've been looking forward to this class for a long time.  I'm hoping Joe is still wearing his smiley-faced tie.

4 comments:

Emma said...

Hi Beth,

Thank you for your link! The imagery of Dangerous Neighbors' ending had me completely enthralled. I'm glad that you enjoyed hearing some commentary on the conclusion.

It looks like you have an exceptional week planned, and I bet Joe's presentation will be a delight!

Unknown said...

I would love to hear Joe's presentation! I remember reading his essay after you linked to it and thinking what a talented writer he was.

Serena said...

Congrats on all the wonderful news. I cannot wait to hear william's story

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP