Alexander McQueen/Savage Beauty: The Metropolitan Museum of Art Catalog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Momentarily (for a morning) between projects, I steal an hour with one of the gifts I gave my husband this past Father's Day.  Assembled by The Metropolitan Museum of Art and distributed by Yale University Press, Savage Beauty, the retrospective look at Alexander McQueen's unmatched fashion career, bears down on you with its monstrous, lovely glory.  Nothing impresses me more than a form-breaking designer; McQueen was that and he was also more—an impeccable tailor, a performance artist, a poet, a political observer, an historian, a very public man with very personal ideas.  His early death was tragic.

I think McQueen would have appreciated this little girl's fabulous sense of style, and so I place her here, beside one of the many quotes that floats throughout this magnificent, cloth-bound catalog.

Birds in flight fascinate me.  I admire eagles and falcons.  I'm inspired by a feather but also its color, its graphics, its weightlessness and its engineering.  It's so elaborate.  In fact I try and transpose the beauty of a bird to women.
— Alexander McQueen

5 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

She is totally fabulous. I'm almost positive you've seen this since I know you are a Bill Cunningham fan but I lurve it: http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/05/13/fashion/100000000818642/on-the-street--mcqueened.html

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I'm going on a tangent here. It's not a memoir but a wonderful biography of the same name: Have you read SAVAGE BEAUTY, the life of Edna St. Vincent Millay?

It's AMAZING.

reiko rizzuto said...

Did you see the show? It was a hallucination - really lovely. I bought the catalog AND a poster, which I never do, because it reminded me of my fantasy book in the making!

patti.mallett_pp said...

Perfect match-the quote and photograph. Perfect.

patti.mallett_pp said...

I often hold my breath as I wait to see if the letters and numbers I've typed in are correct. What if I'm a robot?

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP