The Small Damages Quilt: Wendy Robards, Artist Supreme

Monday, June 4, 2012



Less than an hour ago, I discovered a big box on my front porch.  It was addressed to me.  Return address:  Wendy Robards, of Caribousmom.  I had written of her just yesterday.  Called to thank her for her glorious words about Small Damages.  Listened to her wise counsel.  We talked for a long time.  She never said a word about the sensational, handmade, unbelievable, I have never received a gift like this, I am stunned Small Damages quilt that she had already boxed and sent my way.

She never even hinted.

Look at this quilt!!!  Look at the colors, the care.  "Use it!" she kept saying, when I phoned her just now to say (fumbling for words, breathless) thank you.  But how can I? How could anyone?  This is art and it belongs on a wall.  This is an extraordinary gesture of friendship.  This is color interwoven with love.

I truly am too speechless to write much more. But Wendy, on her blog, has described her process.  She has photographed this quilt throughout its making.  Please, I implore you, visit her there.

And celebrate her heart, with me, today.





10 comments:

Liviania said...

That's beautiful and amazing.

Melissa Sarno said...

This is so beautiful in every way possible. Wendy has mad talent and heart.

Amy said...

Oh wow!!! That is beautiful and lovely. Wendy is so nice!

Wendy said...

I cannot express to you what pleasure it brought me to make you this quilt, Beth...and yes, please use it! Quilts are functional art, filled with love in every stitch. Small Damages is, in part, about healing...and quilts, when used, are also healing xo, Wendy

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Wendy is an amazing person, isn't she? And the quilt is beautiful. Such a thoughtful gift for you. In spite of what Wendy wrote in her comment, I'm like you and would want to put it on display. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it always.

patti.mallett_pp said...

I will, I will, with tears. (I, too, am speechless which is rare.)

To have such a friend as Wendy means that you are a wonderful friend yourself !!! (No surprise there.)

Serena said...

I hope you do use the quilt; I'm sure that would please Wendy for certain!

Andrea said...

That really is beautiful! I just commented on her page, but I thought I'd post here, too. I hope I have such good friends when my book comes out...one day :) You are lucky to have such a generous friend who also believes so strongly in your writing. Those kinds of friends can be hard to come by. Congrats on your book. It sounds like a great read!

Anonymous said...

How magnificent! I hope you do use it. Art can be useful, too.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP