The Triana Flood, 1936: the image that inspired pages of Small Damages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Today, as I prepare for my first in-person interview in advance of the release of Small Damages, I return to the boxes of books I have collected through the years.  Spain then and Spain now.  All those recipes.  Those who have read the book might be intrigued by this photograph, taken in Triana in 1936, during a flood.  This was one of the many historic images that inspired the stories my Estela, the old cook, tells.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love old photos like that. Have you thought of posting them on Flickr or as a picasa album?

Serena said...

I like that image...I can see why there would be a well spring of inspiration there. Enjoy your interview.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP