In Asheville, I fell in love with the work of Akira and Larry Blount

Thursday, December 13, 2012



and had to bring one of these extraordinary mixed media sculptures home.  Made of cloth, wood, metal, objects found and objects grown, these dolls (but they are so much more than dolls) spoke with fervent intensity to me.  I am at work on a book whose main character is, in so many ways, this stunning creature above.  I am, of course, obsessed with birds. I felt as if this artist had seen into my very soul and made generous room for my winged heart.

I saw the work in an Asheville art gallery (Ariel) in the afternoon.  By some twist of fate I was able to meet Akira herself later that evening at a reception.  I have since learned that she has been published more than 30 times in leading craft magazines, that she curated 500 Handmade Dolls: Modern Explorations of the Human Form (a book I now own), and that her work is on permanent display at the MUSEE des ARTS DECORATIF, Paris France, CLINTON LIBRARY, Little Rock, AR, SEKIGUCHI DOLL GARDEN, Izu, Shizuoka Japan, ROSALIE WHYEL MUSEUM, Bellevue, Washington, MUSEUM OF ARTS and SCIENCES, Macon, Georgia, and the TENNESSEE STATE MUSEUM, Nashville, Tennessee. In addition, her work has been exhibited all over the world, including the White House Collection of American Craft.

Her site, featuring far more of her work, is here.

I don't impulsively buy art; that isn't my nature.  I didn't think twice about buying this.  A Christmas present to myself, perhaps, for years and years to come.

2 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

This is so beautiful. I can see why you had to have it. I just went to her website and fell in love with every piece.

patti.mallett_pp said...

Amazing tale, Beth!!! My heart is soaring for you!!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP