Small Damages a top five read of the year, with thanks again to A. A. Omer

Sunday, December 30, 2012

I spent part of this day in the cold, white weather, by my mother's grave.  I spent part of it watching the news, wondering about the state this country is in.  I spent part of it reading the still incoming essays by the two dozen YoungArts writers I'll meet in Miami in just a few days and part of it receding into that safe hollow where story still lives within me, if I listen hard, if I wait.

I came to this computer just now to see what a handful of these new Florence paragraphs look like on this big screen, because I will never believe in the sentences I make until I see them and remake them and endlessly reshape them until they are set, a tableau vivant.  When I arrived, this bit of thrilling something was right here, waiting for me:

A.A. Omer, who just hours ago named Small Damages number one within the Best Writing of 2012 category, has today named this book of mine to her top five reads of the year.  Here, on this list, it joins Gone Girl, Drowning Instinct, Pandemonium, and Blood Red Road.

I have no idea how I got this lucky, but I hope you don't mind if I directly quote:
2) Small Damages by Beth Kephart
Every paragraph, sentence and word was important and a story that could’ve been dull was made captivating. Werewolves, vampires, dystopian worlds are fun but sometimes it’s everyday life and everyday problems that’s the most interesting.
A.A. Omer, I need to throw you a party.  A very happy new year to you!

2 comments:

patti.mallett_pp said...

Oh, sniffly sniff. (And I thought "Message in a Bottle" had drained me dry. Perhaps it only primed the pump.)

The answer to your "good fortune" lies in the second paragraph of this post, with words such as, tableau vivant.

Happy happy happy for you. xo

Anonymous said...

Oh hurray!!!!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP