what do you desire?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I stopped at The Strand while making my way to a client the other day.  It was a long walk and bitter cold.  I wanted warmth.  I needed books. 

Patti Smith's Woolgathering was on a front table, signed.  It was mine in an instant, and today, while on the train to Penn, I read.  Patti gave the class its first exercise of the day, which began with her words below: 
Blowing upon it, candles, a star ... What does one desire.  A partner.  A freewheeling moon.  Or perhaps to hear again as one heard as a child.  A music—curious, optimistic, as plain and elusive as the call of the reel permeating a summer night.  Expanding squares of laughter and delight.  Everyone dancing, just dancing.  
In three to four sentences only, write what you desire, I said. 

Oh, how they broke my heart.  Oh, how I wanted to be their age again.  So many years of doing still laid out before them.

I have a wonderful class.

3 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

Everyone dancing, just dancing. I like that. I wish people danced more! :-)

Greetings from London.

Richard Gilbert said...

Great prompt! Way to go, Teach.

Kelly Simmons said...

that sounds like a great exercise, Beth. Can I come take your class?

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP