After thirty years of friendship/marriage, my artist husband reveals...

Friday, November 22, 2013

(on this very morn) that a story he wrote in high school showed up one day in a publication his teacher had assembled.

"Excuse me, what?" I said. Across from him. At the kitchen table. Because this man I love is not, shall we mildly say, into the literary arts. He is not inclined to read much of anything (excepting Food and Wine and pottery books and books on the making of things). Certainly not inclined to read his wife.

"Yeah, yeah, well."

"What kind of story?"

"Sort of a horror story. It had no real beginning and no real end."

"Didn't you feel encouraged? As a writer? A published writer?"

"It was a high school publication. And no. Why should being published encourage me? Writing didn't interest me."

"And you never thought I'd find this intriguing?"

"Why would you find this intriguing? It was just a story that I wrote."

5 comments:

Kelly Simmons said...

I think you need to tell him about the painting badge you earned in Girl Scouts and see. how. he. likes. it.

:)

Serena said...

LOL that is a conversation that sounds so familiar.

Katrina said...

So funny. Maybe this is why you get along so well? You know he's never going to try to compete with you on the page. . .

Anonymous said...

It's nice to have surprises after that many years of marriage, when they are good ones, intriguing ones. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP