when it is time again to teach I turn to the poets

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

and, always, there, I find what I didn't know I was searching for.

In the dark hours of this cloudy day, just ahead of the morning I will spend with the seventh graders of Project Flow at Philadelphia's Water Works, I turned to Kate Northrop, Stanley Kunitz, Seamus Heaney, Mary Oliver, Ted Kooser, and Greg Djanikian and found:

* a title that leads me toward a game
* a scene that leads me toward a prompt
* a pair of divine metaphors
* a myth that will inspire myths

Whoever thinks poetry is superfluous has not spent a morning with children.

2 comments:

Serena said...

Agreed! Poetry is so wonderful to us as Children...how do most people lose that love over time?

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Beth, I love your photography and your poetry. As a mother of five children, I also agree. Both are a necessary part of life. ~Victoria Marie Lees

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP