public apology

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Like so many of us, I struggle with time. Struggle to find it, to use it well, to not regret the misplaced hours.

There are so many misplaced hours.

This summer, as I put most work and reading and writing aside to help my father with a big house project, I also put much of social media off to one side. Took Facebook and Twitter off my phone. Spent less time before the screen. Blogged infrequently.

It was my way of buying back time. Or, perhaps, of spending the little time that was left to me on things that required my whole self. My hands zesting the lemon for a cake. My body out on an end-of-day walk. My mind engaged in conversation with the friends who would stop by or call. My arms and legs hauling away things so that there would be more room in our small house for pure and simplified living.

In a stressful summer I slowed down to a more human pace.

But. When we enter the world of social media we are also, implicitly, signing a contract. I will be there for you as you have been there for me. I will read your updates as you have kindly read mine. I will know how you are by following your trail. I will reach out when I should.

I broke the implicit contract.

To all of you who have shared big things, small things, sad things, glad things that I, in my less social media-ized state, missed, I offer my apologies. I don't care less. I just see less. Trust that I am here in spirit.

2 comments:

Joanne R. Fritz said...

Oh, Beth. We all have to do this from time to time. So I understand. I used to feel guilty about missing important updates from all my favorite people, but I am only human.

MissKelly said...

There was a time before technological communication saturated our lives. We called on a telephone attached to a wall. We wrote letters. Sometimes those letters took weeks to travel far. We thought about our others and we knew they were thinking of us. Our caring was our social contract.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP