A photo (and link-rich) tour of my morning at the BEA

Thursday, May 26, 2011





I left the house at 5 AM yesterday, and walked, in the breaking dark, toward the train. The carnival lights from the Devon Horse Show grounds were shining just for me.

I arrived early to the Javits Center and took a walk first within the silence, then among the onslaught of crowds. Soon I was at the Egmont USA booth, interviewing the wonderful Rob Guzman, part of the Egmont USA marketing team. (Later in the day I had the privilege of interviewing Egmont USA's Alison Weiss.)

In impromptu fashion (under Rob's raised eyebrow) I began signing books right there at the Egmont booth, flashing my spanking-new bookmarks whenever I could.  It wasn't long before I was in the presence of Florinda of the 3Rs, a beautiful book blogger and a member of the Armchair BEA team. We had a conversation, Florinda and I, and, thanks to Elizabeth Law, our dialogue was captured for all of time on film.  Check the Armchair BEA blog later today to see what Florinda and I had to say.

Elizabeth Law of Egmont USA was my guide throughout the morning; in the rush of my signing, Florinda took our photograph. Soon, were we joined by some beautiful people—librarians, teachers, readers, parents, and blogger friends. There I am with Kathy of BermudaOnion (I finally met her and she's as lovely as I knew she would be) and Julie of Booking Mama (isn't she gorgeous?). Later, I had the privilege of seeing (among so many others) the uber-smart editor/blogger behind Beth Fish Reads, the design whiz Alea of Pop Culture Junkie, and the incredibly gracious writer and blogger Melissa Sarno of This Too. I was signing at the very last table and beyond me were authors of huge celebrity and appeal. I cannot sufficiently express my appreciation for those who stood in my line and gave me the chance to meet them.

Just before I left the premises to walk across town to Grand Central to take a (strictly un-airconditioned) bus on a (bumper-to-bumper expressway) to JFK Airport to see my son just ahead of his departure for London, I had a few near encounters with famous people, including Olivia the Pig and Michael Moore, pictured above. I also finally got to meet my last editor at HarperCollins, Ruta Rimas, who helped usher The Heart Is Not a Size into the world. She's cuter and sweeter than I can say. I picked up a single galley at the show, from Grove: Alice LaPlante's Turn of Mind, which is enjoying a whole lot of early buzz.

I will miss my son enormously. But he is on an adventure all his own, and I could not be happier for him.

7 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

It was so lovely to see you Beth. You are as pretty, kind, warm, and thoughtful as you are on the blog. And I will always wear my hair down in your presence from now on. Thank you, thank you for the signed ARC and the loveliest of bookmarks. Now I will never lose my place...
I hope your son has a safe and fun adventure overseas.

Anna Lefler said...

I love all of your photos and of course you look gorgeous, as always. I'm so glad you had a good time and I wish I could have been one of the lucky ones standing in your line.

And you are so brave to put your lovely son on that plane. Naturally, he will be fine and he will have the time of his life. And I know you will not unclench until he's back home. Nor will I when I'm in your shoes in a few years. ;-)

Cheers to you, Beth!!

XO

A.

Alea said...

I am so happy every time I get to see you Beth!

The1stdaughter said...

Truly, what an amazing day. Thank you for sharing so much of it. All of those bloggers, wow! SO neat!

I've been thinking of you a lot, hoping you're doing well with your son leaving on his adventure. So so brave and courageous, both of you! My love goes out to you, many hugs and cheers for both you & your son. xoxo

Julie P. said...

I was so excited to not only see you at your successful signing, but also run into you on the show floor. You always amaze me with your kindness! You are truly one of a kind!

bermudaonion said...

I'm thrilled that I finally got to meet you in person!!

Beth F said...

I loved having a chance to see you and get a copy of your newest book -- How exciting that you got to see so many of your blogging fans.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP