Samba-ing

Saturday, September 27, 2008

This isn't really me, but it is a photograph of happy dancing feet, which I found myself in possession of last evening. I'd been practicing the samba with the champion Belarusian, Jean Paulovich, and last night, among friends, we performed it. Though perhaps "perform" is too strong a word, perhaps "perform" suggests glitter and glued-on lashes and fish-netted thighs, and that will never (to Jean's professional despair) be me.

What is me is only this: The music goes on, and my bones take it in. My heart beats higher in its cage. Someone waits for me to get it right, and occasionally (but never wholly) I do. Frankly, I missed a few steps last night. But I never lost the music.

It's a privilege, dancing with Mr. Paulovich. It's a happy thing, to be forgiven for less than perfect bota fogas, voltas, whisks. It's good, after a stretch of worry, to come back home, to dance.

3 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Samba is so difficult - I go for the easier dances like merengue.

PJ Hoover said...

I love that you dance! What a freeing thing to do!
Hope you're having a great weekend!

Beth Kephart said...

Oh, the merengue is so much fun. Really, I love all the dances, though I've yet to try a quick step or a paso. But in every dance there is some magic. And in every time one dances, there is the chance for magic, too.

PJ, this weekend has been indescribably wonderful. I hope yours has been, too.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP