When we Cannot be There to Cure

Wednesday, November 12, 2008


While warming last night's dinner for this afternoon's lunch, I began paging through the current New Yorker, stopping at a Joan Acocella story called "The Child Trap: The rise of overparenting." Among the books cited in the story is A Nation of Wimps: The High Cost of Invasive Parenting, by Hara Estroff Marano, an editor at large at Psychology Today, who once asked me to write a magazine story by the same title. I ultimately declined, for while I have often worried about children being asked to do too much too soon under too much pressure, I couldn't abide by the theory that we are out here raising wimps. I know too many young people who are anything but, and I believe in the future of this country.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2008/11/17/081117crbo_books_acocella

I've frequently been asked about the overparenting phenomenon because I once wrote a book about the importance of giving children room to dream and to breathe. I wrote of raising my own son in this idiosyncratic household of artists. Of forging a community of young readers and writers with whom he might dream out loud. I wrote, in SEEING PAST Z: NURTURING THE IMAGINATION IN A FAST-FORWARD WORLD, of the sometimes loneliness of choosing the road mostly untaken. I worried about whether I was making the right choices, whether our son's college application—his very future—would suffer because he did not have a comparably long resume of private lessons, quantified triumphs, proof of far-above-par life ambition. Because his mother had not pushed to give him one.

Reading Acocella's review essay just now made me think again on these issues, to reassess just what might have been gained or loss. It brought to mind a conversation we'd had with our son a few days ago, when he called at night to, as he says, give us an update. "This story has a good ending," he began, as he often does, a habit he got into years ago when he realized he had a slightly anxious woman for a mother.

"Well, the thing is, I woke up at 3 AM with a really bad earache. I mean, it just was really bad," he said.

"Okay."

"So I tried to go back to sleep and I couldn't, and finally it was 6 AM, and I took a shower. But I still felt really bad, I mean, there was just so much pain, so I went off to Health Services and when I got there, I realized they were closed."

Oh Lord, I thought. Oh no. Because this is a kid who can have a fever of 104 and say simply that he's going upstairs to take a rest. A kid who refused to admit that it hurt even the tiniest bit after he got all four wisdom teeth pulled.

"So, you know, I didn't really have any options except to check myself into the emergency room," he continued.

"The emergency room? Of the hospital?" My husband and I said, choral like. Because we're talking dawn here, and an off-the-campus institution.

"Yeah. But it was okay. It's not that far from campus; I remembered seeing it one day. You know, it's a process getting checked into an emergency room. But they took care of everything, so now I'm pretty much fine, or will be."

This is a simple story, no heroics; I'm not deluded. No one has saved the world or out-thought Paulson on the economy. But when our son told us his tale, hours later, when his pain had passed, an entire wash of emotions ran over me. Relief, most of all, that he'd done the right thing and was well. Realization, absolutely, that he's on his own now, he's a man. There comes a time, and that time has come for me, when we cannot be there to cure. We can only be there to listen afterward, and to be grateful for the children with whom we've been entrusted.

7 comments:

Becca said...

This was so touching to read, Beth, for I've confronted many of those issues in raising my own son. I tried hard to honor his need for lots of free time to explore and play on his own, and still make sure he could function in a society which seemed to demand that children carry adult responsibilities long before they were ready.

He's 28 now, and married, has his own successful graphic arts business, and on Friday will set out for an extended trip to Thailand where he will live with his wife's family for a time. Although it breaks my heart to be apart from him, I'm still immensely proud of the way he's created a life of his own choosing, without giving in to the pressures of society.

Your son will do the same, I'm quite sure :)

Em said...

Having no kids of my own, I can only relate to the college student side of this story, and so when he gets home, spoil him lots. If I wasn't fully cured by the time my next visit home came around, homemade cinnamon rolls always did the trick. :-)

Beth Kephart said...

Becca, it's so good to hear how your own story turned out-—you raised a happy and successful son. I know how hard it would be if my own son went off so far, as yours will soon, but like you, I would try to focus on his own joy. So many uncountable emotions in parenting. Wavering in the present, while praying hard for the future. But, oh, they are so worth it.

Miss Em, thank you for your advice, though your mom knows a tad more about sweetness than I do (for I've never made cinnamon rolls). I have so many thoughts in mind for when our boy comes home for Thanksgiving. I'm just sort of hanging here, waiting and waiting. To think of him sleeping above my head again, if only for a few nights.... Well, it just about does me in to imagine it.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Beth,
You've done such a wonderful job raising your son. What I love is how close you both are, how much you cherish each moment, and how he tells you things--no holds barred--because he wants to.

That is quite an accomplishment.

Beth Kephart said...

Vivian, I have never felt like a terrific mom, just a really really really really really lucky one. Because I do know how lucky we are that our boy still wants to tell us his tales. A much greater tribute it is to him, than it will ever be to me.

Kathy said...

I was cleaning out old e-mails and discovered a funny one from cla days. Google-d you and Bill and came across your blog. I am new to this, but had to write to first say that I cannot believe your son is old enough to be in college....it has been a while and that you both were in my thoughts. Hope all is well.

Beth Kephart said...

Hey there, Kathy! So good to hear from you. Bill (who works with me now, so I could walk right over and let him know of your message) is delighted to hear from you. Tell us how we can reach you for real!

And yes, our boy is all grown up. Somehow it happened.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP