Altogether now

Saturday, May 15, 2010

There are, it sometimes seems, not even six degrees of separation in the writing world.  Today, during Alumni Day at Kelly Writers House (University of Pennsylvania), I shared this moment with the tremendous KWH deputy in charge Al Filreis (I would take one of his extraordinary classes, but I'm afraid I'm not quite smart enough), Alice Elliott Dark (whose short story, "In the Gloaming," was selected by John Updike as one of the best of the last century, and who read from it beautifully today), and Moira Moody, a writer and almost bride, who was Al's student before she was mine, and, after Al and I sent her on her way, a student of Alice's at the Rutgers-Newark Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing program created by none other than our mutual friend, Jayne Anne Phillips.

But that's not at all.  Dear Moira was also the inspiration for "Moira" (is inspiration too broad a word for such a flat-out stealing of a name and persona?)—the star of the zany corporate fable, Zenobia, that I penned with then-Shire CEO, Matt Emmens.  

Altogether, then, on a gorgeous meander of a day.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love these kinds of connections. Glad you had the chance to spend this gorgeous day with some of yours.

Al Filreis said...

Beth, you are fast. I had a similar photo from this afternoon & a similar story to tell. You beat me to it and now I only needed to blog and make a link to your own beautiful blog.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP