THE HEART IS NOT A SIZE is headed to Germany

Thursday, February 9, 2012

I made oblique reference the other day to an unexpected gift from the land of publishing.  My agent now says that I can now specifically share the news:  THE HEART IS NOT A SIZE has been sold to Hanser, the German publishing house that also kindly acquired NOTHING BUT GHOSTS (due out this summer) and YOU ARE MY ONLY.

To say that I'm thrilled would be a giant understatement.  HEART was, for me, a very special book, given that it was based on experiences I actually had in a squatter's village in Juarez (the little girl above, for example, is a character in the book) and that it explores as well both anorexia and panic disorder, conditions with which I have had more than a passing acquaintance.

Many thanks to the Harper Collins team, to Jill Santopolo who edited the book, and to Amy Rennert.  And many, many thanks to Hanser for having such faith in my work.  I spend many hours of my days researching Germany as I write my Berlin novel for Philomel.  Hanser's kindness makes Germany feel even more like home.

Nothing substitutes for faith in the life of a writer.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

What wonderful news! Congratulations!

Kelly H-Y said...

What INCREDIBLE news! So very excited for you!!!!

Serena said...

Wonderful news...congrats and well deserved.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations--I'm so happy for you! Wonderful news.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP