My BEA Day (with photos)

Wednesday, June 6, 2012



I rose at 3 AM, walked the just-before-dawn streets, took one train and then another (much, oh much too much delayed) train, then ran the long blocks toward the BEA.  I was, shall we say, windblown by the time I arrived.  But there to greet me were the ever-lovely, ever kind Danielle (There's a Book) and Florinda (The 3rs Blog)—first-rate bloggers and people. It was about time I met the generous Danielle.  About time I gave Florinda (who was my unofficial publicist last year at the BEA) another hug.

From there to see my dear friends at Philomel, to meet more of that tremendous team, and to finally say hello to the phenomenal Ruta Sepetys in person; she has a new book coming out that I think will be just as amazing (in many different ways) as Between Shades of Gray.  From there to listen to four of the buzz adult authors talk about the process, their books, their hopes.  A beautiful interlude with Lauren Wein.  Then to sit in the audience of Jennifer Brown (the fantastic children's editor for Shelf Awareness) and Kristi Yamaguchi, an Olympian with a heart of gold. A run from the Downtown Stage to the Uptown Stage so that I could sit in the front row (all other seats were gone) of the YA Buzz panel, featuring, among other people, Melissa Marr, Jenny Han, Tonya Hurley, and my friend Siobhan Vivian.

Just after dawn now, and I've filed all my stories for Publishing Perspectives. I'll link to them here when they go live.

Now I'm going to go fix my hair. Then settle down, and teach.


4 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

Stop everything. Kristi Yamaguchi!?!?! Kristi Yamaguchi!!! The ten year old girl in me just went ape-s***

Serena said...

Kristi Yamaguchi is one of my favorite Olympians of all time! Jealous!

I meant to say on another post that other bloggers (who will remain nameless) thought I was crazy because I wanted to hear the authors speak at their panels...I went to quite a few and even got to meet with Cornel West for a third time in my life!

Amy said...

aw, Kristi Yamaguchi! She is still so amazingly pretty. And lol I feel like Melissa.

Book Dragon said...

this sounds like a much better time then the other.

skin tight? O_o topless?

I think I'm glad I stayed home!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP