In Shelf Awareness, remembering my grandmother and reflecting on stories in which time works differently

Friday, August 24, 2012

Within every story there are stories, and this morning I am deeply blessed by the chance, in Shelf Awareness, to remember my grandmother and to reflect on the passion I have for creating young adult stories in which time works differently.  Jennifer Brown, the children's book review editor for Shelf Awareness, opened this door to me.  Her kindness toward me and Small Damages has been remarkable.

Pictured above is my beautiful grandmother, whom I lost on Mischief Night when I was nine. She sits beside my grandfather, who holds my brother on his lap.  I am sitting with my beloved Uncle Danny.  My mother's family.  Sweet memories.

Thank you, Jenny Brown and Shelf Awareness.  These are the opening words of my Inklings essay.  The rest can be found here:
My books for young adults are frequently shaped by relationships between those who have so much wanting yet ahead and those looking back, with pain and wonder. Time works differently in books like these, and so does memory.

5 comments:

kate hopper said...

Lovely, Beth. I cannot wait to read Small Damages.

Serena said...

Wonderful. My nana was my inspiration and I miss her still after 15 years

Amy said...

I very much look forward to reading this!

Richard Gilbert said...

I'm on my way to read your essay. It's so special when writers share their root passions!

The1stdaughter said...

I loved this so much. Both your relationship with your grandmother and Kenzie's relationship with Estela show me something I wish I had more of, but really helped me appreciate the one relationship I had like this. Reflecting back on it sheds a bit of light on perhaps why I tend to gravitate toward friends who are in the generation of my grandmother's age group. There's a knowledge and kindness from these incredible women that you simply can't find elsewhere.

Loved your piece. So much. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to reflect on so many great memories. xo

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP